Friday, March 10, 2006

Gainesville Voters Condemn themselves to More Bad Traffic

I am disappointed in the outcome of the election. Jeanna Mastrodicasa won over Tony Domenech. This means that not enough drivers went to the polls, probably because they didn't want to go out into the traffic again. Need I remind you that Jeanna Mastrodicasa is in favor of narrowing major roadways?

For once, I find myself agreeing with the Gainesville Sun editorial page.

"[V]oter turnout is so anemic, year in and year out, because Gainesville's election system is designed to the advantage of candidates who understand that it's easier to get elected when fewer rather than more people show up at the polls...
[it has long been] argued that if city elections were scheduled to coincide with even-year fall general elections, turnout would be vastly improved. City residents would be able to select their city commissioners at the same time they select their president, governor, congressional and legislative representatives and county commissioners." [full text available online at http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/
20060310/EDITORIALS/60310009/1096/editorials
]


* * *

I would like to tip my hat to Tabitha G. Katt of Trenton for her scathing criticism of Dom Nozzi's bizarre utopian view of how Gainesville's infrastructure should develop. She has a point, this Nozzi person likes to try to make real people fit into his imaginary utopia.. and that doesn't work. Nozzi is clearly unfit for his position and should be removed at the earliest opportunity.

Her letter can be viewed online at http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/
20060310/EDITORIALS02/60310007/-1/editorials


* * *

I would also like to tip my hat to J. Heppner of Gainesville who writes "When are voters going to throw these people out? Otherwise, when Archer Road, Newberry Road and other main roads are all reduced to two lanes (with roundabouts), better buy a motor home so at least you can check your e-mail and go to the toilet while waiting in traffic."

I feel your pain. Apparently, my efforts to get people to the polls this week were not very effective.

This letter can be viewed online at http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/
20060309/EDITORIALS02/60308053/-1/editorials

2 Comments:

Blogger David Schantz said...

I wanted to thank you for stopping by and for mentioning me in your previous post. I was wondering if you ever listen to an old friend of mine. Jerry Hughes, he's from your home state of Florida. You might want to check him out at http://accentradionetwork.com/,I try to listen to him every week day at 1:PM (cst). I also wanted you to know I post a Question Of The Week every Sunday morning. I hope you will stop by to answer it. Keep up the good work, people need to be woke up.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

1:59 AM  
Blogger  Jess said...

Hey there, I did a search for Alachua County Traffic problems and came up with your blog. I hate the damn traffic in this town, it SUCKS! Keep up the blogging, please. I know it's been awhile since you posted but don't give up!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home